I know...you've heard it before. "Create Video Content"
As a Realtor you've probably heard it a thousand times..."create video content". It may even go in one ear and out the other just like when you hear things like "blog every day" or "call your mother". It's all good advice, but many of us may just feel that the barrier to entry for creating interesting and engaging video is just too high. It can seem quite imposing to think about creating a video (or, heaven forbid...several videos!!) to put on your website or distribute through social media.
If I was writing this post even a couple of years ago I'd probably agree with you about that. To create professional looking video content yourself would have been, even a couple of years ago, pretty difficult for someone with little or no experience working in the broadcasting field. However, times have changed and that barrier to entry is now considerably lower than it was. Mobile phones now create HD (or even 4K video), and even have very user-friendly editing tools that make it a cinch to combine multiple shots and add graphics to that footage. Adobe even has a free iPad app called Voice that will hold your hand throughout the process of creating and sharing really excellent graphic and image based content.
You no longer have the excuse that creating video is too difficult. So why should you take the next step and actually start doing it? Here's a quick list of items that will hopefully help you come to the conclusion that as a Realtor you really should be creating video content.
- Google Loves Video. Google understands that today's online consumers want to get their information quickly and easily. For that reason, they will skew search results in favor of sites that have engaging and regularly updated video content.
- Video is Easy to Digest. Video is one of the easiest ways to digest information in a highly efficient manner. Today's home buyers are used to getting information electronically and properly created video will give them the information they want quickly.
- The Fuzzy Slippers. In a perfect world as Realtors we would be able to pop right out of a web browser and give viewers our sales pitch face to face. But that's not possible (yet...). Video content allows you to clearly communicate your message while buyers are at home in their fuzzy slippers.
- Techno-Savvy. If you look at your competitors' websites you'll generally see a lack of decent video content. Sure, there may be some automated property tours kicking around...but go looking for videos that have been hand-crafted by the agent. There's not many. Having this content on your website will show that you're a technology-savvy agent. Who wouldn't want to work with someone like you?
- Be the Expert. Don't be shy about your experience as a Real Estate Agent. If you know all about Short Sales, create a video about it to show potential clients that you can talk the talk. We all have knowledge of stuff that people want to know...position yourself as a subject matter expert and business will come to you. Trust me.
- It's Not That Difficult Anymore. As I mentioned before, there's all kinds of free and affordable software out there (some of it in the palm of your hand) that makes creating great video content really, really easy. YouTube even has an online video editor that allows you to cut together footage from multiple clips, add royalty-free music and even fix shaky video.
Hopefully this list will encourage you to evolve your skill set and accept that the reasons for creating video content far outweigh the reasons to NOT create video content.